This document describes how to create a sandbox environment for developers to test embeds before using the embeds in your production environment. Testing an embed can allow admins to view the embed from the perspective of end users and to verify security settings, such as Row-Level Security.
Summary of Content
- To set up this feature for your organization, you must be an Admin.
Go to Embed Sandbox
Follow the steps below to go to Embed Sandbox.
- Open a document.
- Click the workbook dropdown and select Embedding.
- In the Generate application embed path for field, select what you want to embed.
- Click Test on the Embedded workbook modal.
Configure Embed Sandbox
Follow the steps below to configure the Embed Sandbox.
On the Embed Sandbox landing page, define the fields to begin testing embeds.
- Embed Path
- [required] The workbook generated application embed URL. This field auto-populates based on the URL of the workbook you're using.
- Embed Secret
- [required] Select the Embed Secret from the dropdown menu. The menu draws from the Embed Secrets you created in the API & Embed Secrets tab.
- [optional] The ID and value of any existing workbook control you want to pass through to the workbook.
- [optional] Use any of the default themes (Light, Dark, and Surface)or any themes defined in your org. Use the name of the theme as the value.
- [required] Set the desired mode: User-Backed, Application + Explore, or Application. When a mode is selected, the fields under Options for Selected Mode change.
The Options for Selected Mode fields vary based on which mode you select. If you select User-Backed Mode, define the following fields.
- Embedded User Team
- [required]- The name of your embedded users' team. For RLS, use with CurrentUserInTeam()
- [required]- The email address associated with the user’s account. Email addresses already associated with a standard (not embed) user account aren't valid. For RLS, use with CurrentUserEmail()
- Account Type
- [optional]- This value can be set to any account type your org has created. These are listed in the Account Types tab, except Admin. If a value isn't provided, then the permissions listed below are the default.
- User Attributes
- [optional]- Enter any user attributes you previously created.
- Hide Folder Navigation
- [optional] - Toggle to hide the folder navigation options in the bottom left.
If you select Application or Application + Explore Mode, define the following fields.
- Hide Sheet Applications
- [optional]- Toggle to hide the option to modify a chart or sheet from a dropdown or right-click actions. This hides the sort dropdown on a column header or filter bar access for users of the embedded workbook.
- Allow Export
- [optional]- If toggled on, the embed viewer can download data.
The Advanced Options section doesn't change based on the selected Mode.
- Session Length
- [required]- The number of seconds the embed URL remains valid after the application embed URL was generated. After the specified number of seconds, the embed no longer displays new values. The maximum session length is 2592000 seconds (30 days).
- External User ID
- [required]- A unique identifier for each individual using the embed.
- Hide Tooltips
- [optional]- If toggled on and a user hovers over a tooltip, the tooltip is no longer displayed. This applies to vega charts (line, bar, area, etc) and map chart marks.
- Disable Mobile View
- [optional] - Toggle to disable the mobile view.
- Click Load Embed to begin testing the embed.
- After you load the embed, you can change the settings & values as needed. Click Load Embed to see the changes reflected in the embed.