Sigma's CSV Upload feature allows you to upload and analyze CSV data in Sigma. This feature stores a copy of the CSV directly in your data warehouse. As such, it must be enabled on both your organization and individual warehouse connection by an organization admin.
Summary of Content
- CSV Upload must be enabled for your organization and warehouse connection.
Admins can enable this feature by following these instructions.
- You must be a Sigma Admin or Author with permission granted on the connection to which you wish to upload your CSV.
CSV Data Storage
When a CSV file is uploaded to Sigma, its data is automatically written back to your data warehouse as a new table. If your organization has multiple warehouses with write access enabled, you will be given the option to select a single destination.
CSV data stored in your warehouse is only accessible through the worksheet or Dataset created during file upload. It can however, be joined to other data stored in the same warehouse.
If the worksheets or Datasets referencing the uploaded CSV are deleted from Sigma, the associated table created in your warehouse will automatically be removed within 24 hours.
Upload a New CSV
The following instructions will guide you through uploading a CSV file to create a new worksheet or Dataset.
- Open Sigma's left hand navigation panel.
- Click the green plus button in the panel header. This will open the 'Create New Document' menu.
- To create a worksheet, click 'New Worksheet'.
To instead create a Dataset, click 'New Dataset'.
Both options will open the data source selection page.
- Select CSV as your data source to navigate to the upload page.
Note: This option is only available if CSV Upload has been enabled by an organization Admin.
- Select a connection from the list provided. If only one data warehouse has write access enabled, it will be selected by default. The connection you select points to the warehouse your file will be uploaded to.
- Upload your CSV file by dropping it in the page, or click Browse.
- After adding a CSV, you will be shown a preview of your data. From here you may include/exclude columns, adjust the parsing options, and address any errors if necessary.
- Click the blue ‘Get Started’ button in the top right corner of the screen.
Replace an Existing CSV
The following instructions will guide you through replacing the underlying CSV in an existing worksheet or Dataset.
- Open the Worksheet or Dataset containing the CSV you would like to replace.
- If you opened a Worksheet, skip this step.
If you opened a Dataset, select the Worksheet tab from the Dataset header. Then click 'Edit', also in the Dataset header.
- Navigate to your document's Data Sources tab in the right hand panel.
Note: Datasets have three tabs in the right hand panel; Worksheets have four.
- Open the ••• menu on the CSV source you would like to replace and click `Replace CSV`.
- You will now be prompted to select a file from your computer.
- After selecting a new CSV, you will be taken to Sigma's `Edit Source` page. Here you can preview your data and specify parsing options.
- When you are satisfied with your new CSV data source, click 'Done' in the top right of the screen.
Share CSV Data
CSV uploaded data is not directly accessible through the connection table list. As such, you must grant permissions on the original worksheet or Dataset to share this data with your teammates. CSV uploaded worksheets and datasets can be shared like any other Sigma document. See how.