CSV Upload allows any user to upload a CSV file to analyze in Sigma. The data from the file is written back to the organization's data warehouse and can be joined to other data stored in that warehouse. To enable this feature, an admin must enable the feature and set up write access to the data warehouse.
When uploading a CSV, Sigma lets you select the delimiter, quote character, and escape character. You have a preview of how the data will display in Sigma to help guide your choices.
Upload a CSV File
- Click the green plus sign at the top of the left-hand navigation panel and click “New Worksheet”.
- Choose CSV as the data source. This option will only be available if your admin has set up write access to the data warehouse.
- Use the drop-down in the upper left to pick which data warehouse to upload the CSV to. If only one data warehouse has write access enabled, it will be chosen by default.
- Upload your CSV file.
- Check the preview of the CSV. Adjust the parsing options and address errors if necessary.
- Click ‘Get Started’ in the upper right of the screen.
Share a CSV File
- Create a new Sigma Worksheet and choose CSV as the source.
- Move the worksheet to a team folder or the organization folder.
- Share the link to the worksheet with your coworker.
Enable CSV Upload on Your Connection
You must be an organization admin to enabled CSV upload on your connection.
- Open your Admin Portal by selecting ‘Administration’ in the user menu at the top right of your screen.
- On the ‘Account’ page you will see a section titled ‘Features’.
Click the ‘Enable’ button next to CSV Upload.
This will automatically enable CSV upload on any of your connections with write access.
CSV Files in the Database
When a CSV is uploaded via Sigma, Sigma creates a table in the database. This table is only accessible in Sigma through the worksheet created by the CSV upload. To share data in a CSV file, the user needs to share the Sigma worksheet. Other users cannot access the table directly in the database through Sigma.
If there are no longer worksheets referencing a table that was created by CSV upload, that table will be removed from the data warehouse within 24 hours, during scheduled clean up jobs.
Note: After allowing your schema to have write access, said schema will be hidden from the connections panel. Instead, you will see a note that says "No Accessible Data". The schema will still be in your data warehouse but it is hidden in Sigma.
Replace a CSV in your Worksheet or Dataset
- Open the Worksheet or Dataset containing the CSV you would like to replace.
- If you opened a Worksheet, skip this step.
If you opened a Dataset, select the Worksheet tab from the Dataset header. Then click 'Edit', also in the Dataset header.
- Navigate to your document's Data Sources tab in the right hand panel.
Note: Datasets have three tabs in the right hand panel; Worksheets have four.
- Open the ••• menu on the CSV source you would like to replace and click `Replace CSV`.
- You will now be prompted to select a file from your computer.
- After selecting a new CSV, you will be taken to Sigma's `Edit Source` page. Here you can preview your data and specify parsing options.
- When you are satisfied with your new CSV data source, click 'Done' in the top right of the screen.