SQL based datasets take SQL queries and turn them into reusable data sources that people can use as the basis for additional analysis. Datasets can also be materialized to your database, helping speed up queries.
Any changes made to a dataset will be propagated forward to any downstream documents.
Summary of Content
Create a Dataset from SQL
- Click the Create New button in the left navigation panel.
- Select Write SQL from the menu.
This will open the SQL Runner.
- Select your desired warehouse connection from the dropdown list.
- The database object panel on the left side of the page will allow you to explore your connection.
[optional] Click on any table to preview its data.
- To write SQL, begin typing keywords into the text box in the top half of the screen. Sigma will automatically provide a list of autocomplete options to guide you.
- To run your SQL query, click the Run button in the center-right portion of the page.
Keyboard shortcuts: CTRL-Enter on a PC or CMD-Enter on a Mac.
- Click the dropdown icon () next to the Explore button in the workbook header.
- Select Create Dataset.